Monday, January 12, 2009

I'm a cheerleader!

Okay, I have a confession - the previous post's "Happy New Year" was not actually done by me, it was just something I found on the internet. I had to admit that when someone asked me where we had been for New Year's, and I had to confess that it was spent in the snow, not on the beach. So, lest I mislead anyone, I took the chance this weekend to rectify my "plagiaristic" blogging and the new New Year's greeting was actually written by me.

Some friends of ours have been training for an 80-mile backpacking trip in Patagonia, and have invited us to tag along as their cheerleaders on a number of occasions. Prior to the holidays, I accompanied them on a 10-miler while Jon spent a Saturday writing final papers. This last weekend we did 16 miles with them on the Point Reyes National Seashore coastal trail north of the S.F. Bay.


I have to say, it was one of those days that make you love living in California! A gorgeous day with not a cloud in the sky, and temperatures in the mid-60s.

Most of the trail had the ocean on one side and hills on the other, and the sky was so clear we had views of islands, lighthouses, rock arches, and other gorgeous scenery (we were hoping for some whale watching, but were disappointed there).



Part of the hike was right on the beach, followed by a climb up the side of a waterfall that flows onto the beach and into the ocean. Jon and I had it pretty easy, and I'm sure we looked plenty wimpy carrying our tiny little day-packs hiking alongside Katie and Lee, each lugging full 50 pound backpacks. I have to admit, though, that after 11 miles, it was still a relief to take off our shoes and soak our feet in the cold water.


At the base of the waterfall, there were a number of tide pools, where we got to see (and play with) starfishes of varying shapes, sizes, and colors. We even caught a glimpse of a mini octopus.



We came home with aching muscles and some pretty painful blisters -- but it was so worth it!

1 comment:

Katie said...

So fun Cami. I love it! I should link my blog about the weekend to yours.... love the descriptions!