Saturday, October 10, 2009

Help me!!

Okay, I've had enough people start asking me about if I've registered for baby stuff, if I feel ready to have a baby, etc. that I decided to let a little bit of reality sink in. And the reality that I will be having a baby sometime in the next two months was intimidating enough to motivate me into action. So, today, I took the first step and got up the courage today to walk into Babies-R-Us.

Wow! I realized why I've been putting this off for so long. That place is intimidating! So much stuff, how on earth are you supposed to know what you need? And then, even if you know what you need, how are you supposed to know which of the hundreds of kinds of that thing is the one you should buy? Not that this is just about the store, mind you, but just about the whole undertaking of sorting through all the stuff out there to know what you need to get for a baby.

I'm really the kind of person that does not want to get more baby "stuff" than I really need - the thought of filling my house with all sorts of unnecessary baby junk is seriously unappealing. But, at the same time, I realize that some of that "junk" can at some level make your life so much easier when you have a baby, and I do want to make sure I get what I need. So, I've decided that it's time to start soliciting advice (because I know there's plenty to be had out there). I'd love to hear from anyone who has had children and been through this whole experience about the top 5-10 things you would really say you need when you have a baby. You know, the things you swear by, that really make things so much easier.

First, let me tell you what we've gotten so far for baby:
  • A crib.
Yep, that's all. (I found it amidst my craigslist shopping for furniture for the new apartment.)

I know that some will say that the only things that you really need for a baby are diapers and a carseat (because, at least in California, you can't take the baby home from the hospital unless they verify you own a carseat - and, by the way, if you have any suggestions about types or styles of these two essentials feel free to pass them on). But, thinking beyond that, tell me about the things that you personally couldn't do without.

So, please, help me! Lend me your hard-earned wisdom, because one other thing you should know about me (if you don't already) is that I get very anxious if I feel like something big is about to happen and I'm not ready. (I know, that probably doesn't bode well for my anxiety level for the next 18+ years!)

9 comments:

Matthew -n- Erica said...

Cami-Erica here! You'll be okay. I would recommend a changing table for the first few months-its nice when they have accidents while changing the diaper. Either that-or change them on a tile floor-not carpet. 2) a swing-get a small portable one if you can. I don't like those bouncy, vibrate chairs. I prefer the swing. 3)a baby sling/carrier of some sort. Great for grocery shopping. 4)A car seat/stroller set-the kind that let you snap the car seat on the stroller. A walmart brand is just fine. It also doesn't really matter if the car seat is a 3 point harness or 5 point harness. Most now and days are the 5 point variety. We like Evenflo. The strollers are a little taller than other brands-good for my husband. 5)a Pack and Play if you plan on traveling much. We also used it when we went camping. 6) a high chair is essential-but you don't need it until at least 5 months of age-so you can wait to buy one. Talk to me later about that.
Wow-this is really long! Love you! I'm so excited for you both!

Matthew -n- Erica said...

ps-call me or send me an email if you want more brand details.

Deb said...

You have plenty of time to get everything ready.... really, all you NEED is milk and diapers and you are good to go. So don't stress about it. Everything will fall into place (that's what showers are for!)

Here are my top picks that I would highly recommend:
1. A swing- Caden really enjoyed it and it saved my sanity at times.
2. Moby wrap- It's like a sling or carrier- it's just aa really, really long piece of jersey type fabric that you can wrap around you in the baby in different ways. I used this a lot when I needed to get stuff done around the house and needed both hands.
3. Pampers Swaddlers- there are so many diapers out there and it's a little overwhelming. We used the swaddlers and swore by them... all other diapers he had major blow outs and ended up ruining outfits so it was worth the extra money. He now wears Target brand and does fine, but for the first 12-15 months, pampers are the way to go in my opinion.
4. Swaddling blankets- most babies like to be wrapped tightly the first couple months. The best blankets that I received were just a light cotton fabric surged on the end. (They were bigger than most blankets and lasted a long time).
5.Journal- my last piece of advice is to take a journal with you in your hospital bag. Journal about your baby's birth story before you leave and while you have the help. Believe it or not, you will forget little details so it's good to document them.

I hope this helps and I'm here for you so let me know if you have any questions. xoxoxoxo

Marisa said...

By number 5, I'd toned things down to the very essentials (mostly because he was a surprise and I really didn't want to buy it all again)

My top 5:

1. Pampers swaddlers-just like Deb said. I bought a bunch of size 1's off of ebay for like $50. But size 1's were the only ones available.

2. A LOT of onsies! You can never have too many (ok maybe you can, but I never have)

3. Sack sleepers. It makes diaper changing so much easier in the middle of the night not to have to get little legs in leg holes. I found I could get them changed without waking them up.

4. Swing-we ended up buying one for Grant, another great craigs list item.

5. JJ Bundle Me-they come in various weights. Out here-we need the heavy for winter-but there is a light weight one. It saves on have to smother them with blankets and it protects them from the wind.

Just because: 2 things I wish I'd had but didn't-carseat that went straight into the stroller and a sling/wrap.

One thing I've never had-a changing table. Floor/bed/couch all work just fine.

This is way too long!! You'll do great!!

Tara said...

I don't have much else to add except brands.

You can research carseats online. We did and bought a Baby Trend (they are the top rated in Consumer Reports) We also got a stroller that fit the carseat. I also liked the carseat because it wasn't bulky, just in case number two comes along and you are not ready to upgrade to a 9 passenger suburban.

We bought a fixed solid wood crib that can convert into a twin bed. I like the solid crib, there are no mecanisms to worry about or fingers getting caught when the crip wall slided down.

We also bought a classic wooden high chair without all the toys and plush cushions. Classic chairs are cheaper than frill chairs and don't go out of style.

Cloth diapers are a must if you plan to have more children. You would know how to use them if you ever changed Emil when you babysat. Bum Genius is a great brand. They make one-size fits all (up to 35 lbs). I have a friend who makes mock Bum Genius diapers for only $12/each. Get 24-36 diapers and you only have to wash every 3-5 days. A cheap Cosco diaper pail from Kmart should be suffient. Once you are stocked up you never have to buy diapers again. If you run out you don't have to run to the store. Spend $300-$600 once! You can even go the extra mile and buy reusable wipes.

I'm sewing a nursing apron for you. These are nice because they don't fall off like blankets. Hopefully I will get it done before you baby comes.

lincolnHabels said...

My foster daughter hates the infant swing, but she love me to sit on my exercise ball and bounce her.

I recommend an infant bath tub with a sling they can sit in while they are tiny. It keeps their umbilical stump up out of the water until it heals. I like hooded towels, but they're not necessary. Baby soap.

I like having some infant tylenol on hand, but wouldn't use it on a newborn w/o a doctor's okay. I just hate midnight runs to walgreens. Also a seperate thermometer if you plan on taking any rectal temps. yuck. The hospital will probably give you a bulb syringe for boogers. I also like to have diaper cream on hand.

But, Deb's right, "all you need is milk and diapers." Congrats!

Brooke Davis said...

First off I would suggest making sure you have a birth plan and inform your doctor about your preferences...who's allowed in the room as fr as friends and family are concerned, drugs-I highly recommend an epidural, it made labor go a lot faster for me, I went from being dilated to 3 to dilated to 10 within 3 hours when it had taken me 5 hours to get from one to three without it-keep in mind though that I had to be induced. Have your diaper bag and your and Jon's hospital bags packed-I would suggest packing snacks for Jon, he may get hungry depending on how long it takes. I had our bags pack a month in advance and they were waiting in the trunk of the car for the big day.

As far as baby supplies, this is what I found handy:

I would highly suggest getting a breast pump. Don't get a wimpy one, and don't do the dual breast pump its awkward enough pumping, but both at the same time...just plain weird. You don't want to get backed up and not have any relief, especially if you are so engorged that your baby can't latch on. Lots of info I know-but I wish someone would have told me. Don't forget the containers or bags to store the milk-trust me this will come in handy when you need a girls night or a couple hours to yourself.
Another tip on the breast feeding- get Lansinoh Lanolin-its a ointment that you'll want to have-I would suggest applying it a couple weeks before your due date to prepare for breastfeeding-Watch out its a shocker!

A bobby-its a horse-shoe shaped pillow that wraps around your waist, it helps with nursing and a comfy spot for baby to lay propped a bit up.

baby nail clippers-they grow fast and they cut baby skin very easily.

functional diaper bag-don't get one because its cute-get one that will actually allow enough room for all the essentials. I now use a messenger bag, over the shoulder is a lot easier than purse like carrier-it gets old really quick.

I liked having a bouncy-it allowed me ta have the baby near me where ever I was-especially when I needed to shower and he wouldn't sleep. It's tough to get the swing around to every place you may need it-but it is a good thing to have.

I would get a CD player and soothing CD's for the babies bedroom...we waited until Micah was a year to get one and it wasn't until then that he started to sleep better. I played Mozart for Micah during nap times and sometimes just for the fun of it and believe me or not he recognized it when ever I played it. To this day music makes him stop what he's doing and listen until it's over-its the cutest thing.

Hope this helps

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

A lot of things you can wait for until the baby comes and you see that you really need it. Take advantage of all the free stuff available to you except for the free parenting magazines, which are just advertising junk. The hospital & doctor’s office gives you lots of free stuff while you are there and before you leave. We got a free diaper bag, a free Medela breast pump set (very nice), lots of carrying bags, and cooler bags for bottles, lotions, lots of samples, hats, and blankets, food, formula (yuck), etc.