Sunday, August 12, 2007

Rocky Mountain Fever


I think there must be something in the air here in Colorado that makes you "outdoorsy." I'm telling you, being around all these bikers, hikers, climbers, snowshoers, skiers, runners all the time it really makes you feel like you must be missing out on something if you're not spending your fair share of time in the Rocky Mountain air. So, whether in an attempt to fit in or if it's just discovering a hidden passion, I've decided that I too get a certain thrill out of getting out and into the mountains (or maybe I've confused that breathless feeling at 12,000+ feet with something other than a lack of oxygen) .


It helps that we live about 45 minutes from Rocky Mountain National Park, and that for only the cost of an annual parks pass we can go up and enjoy amazing mountain scenery all year round. During the summer it is especially inviting to beat the heat with the cool mountain air.

Our hikes this summer have included Timberline Falls (see Jon posing below the falls) -- with me braving a slide down the snow covered hillside, Ceran St. Vrain (through the enchanted pine forest), and most recently to the top of Mt. Timpanogos (we just had to fit it into our quick trip out to Utah). I'm really hoping to top out a 14-er or two while we're still here in CO, and I'd love to hike over the Continental Divide. And if those dreams come true (wow, now I'm really sounding feverish), I'll let you know...








No comments: