Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"Is this thing on?" (...or my failed announcement on facebook)

Facebook and I have had a recent run-in, and I'm nearly convinced that it was really a plot to subvert my social confidence and make me way more analytical than I already am. (Warning: this is a long, fairly boring post, but if you really like me I promise to make it worth it in the end!)

So, have you ever posted something on Facebook and then gotten zero response? You know, you put your interesting picture, cute video, or witty status update out there on the wall - for everyone to see - and then you wait...

... You are, of course, waiting for that acknowledgement from the world that whatever it is you posted has meaning. Or maybe it's that somebody cares what you have to say. Or maybe it's just that instinctual need for validation (it started in middle school, but it never really went away) that you actually are cool.

You tell yourself otherwise - that you don't really care what people think - but you know that's not really true. You wait, watching for the "like" or comment to appear below, hoping that you don't go unnoticed.

I know I'm not the only one here, but I'm okay if you're not ready to fess up to it. I'm not afraid to confess that I've been there, and that recently I had to own up to my true facebook insecurities. I'm not a big "facebooker" - I check it regularly to see what people are up to, but I don't regularly post anything. But, over the past several weeks I've put a few things up - a witty status update here, a funny video of my child there, a major life announcement - you know, the usual fare. When nobody said anything about my witty status update I didn't think much of it. Okay, not true, I did wonder a little bit if what I said wasn't as interesting as I thought ... but other than that I didn't think much of it. When nobody said anything about my child's cute video, I wondered (I mean, I think he's awfully cute, but maybe I'm fooling myself). But when I finally decide to make my big announcement to the "world" and nobody says anything, I have to admit I started to take it personally! That was the point that I started to wonder about whether my "facebook friends" were my "real friends," or if I'd been hoodwinked into becoming just another tally in someone's friend count.

So, I decided to test it out - my "tap tap, is this thing on?" into the microphone, if you will. It felt a little pathetic, putting a request out there for people to please respond to one of my posts - kind of like I was begging for the world to pay attention to me. But, it worked, and people took the bait. Now, I was left in a whole new dilemma: If they could see this and comment when I begged them to ... did that mean my more subtle pleadings for social validation really had gone ignored, and that people really didn't care that much about my real life? Or, had they just gotten lost in the abyss of some corporate server, and no one could actually see them? If I reposted my cute video and big announcement, would I look like a loser begging for even more attention, or would people be happy to now have the chance to appreciate what I had thought they would all along?

Ah, the dilemmas... this is what you have led me to, facebook. I thought I was done with high school, but apparently it only continues in a new venue. I'm sure I'll get over it, but for a while I'm going to have to approach my facebook podium a little more cautiously - still overcoming the trauma and social angst I have felt.

Maybe I need therapy... In the meantime, I'll save my announcements for the not-all-that-different venue of blogging. But, I guess if you've survived my strange rantings so far, I can be assured that you are my "real friend," and that you really do care to know that we're excited to be looking forward to baby #2 in 6 short months! :)

14 comments:

Kaitlyn B said...

You are a really good writer Cam. I enjoyed this and I love you and am excited for your news :)

Kasey and Jim said...

Congrats!!! I would have commented or "liked" if I'd seen it. I don't love the new facebook news feed. :(

Sarah said...

Yay!!! I'm so happy for you! And trust me, I would've commented if I saw it, but it didn't come up for me either. Weird. Congratulations though!

KeLbY, MiChElLe, and a BaBy said...

I think facebook is being lame... Blame it on the new timeline thingy:) Congrats on baby #2!!! Do you know what you guys are having yet?

Sarah said...

Oh silly facebook. Congrats on your exciting news!

Smileyhappychan said...

Hooray! So that puts your due date in September? How fun! And I'm not on facebook. We had run-ins years ago and I quit. So I'm glad you posted it on your blog. :)

Ashley said...

Congrats! I never saw it posted on facebook. It's a conspiracy. :)

Matthew -n- Erica said...

The instant I started reading the blog....I knew how it would end. So excited for you. And I hate facebook! Are we even friends on facebook? I honestly don't even know. I did a facebook cute baby picture contest and Reagan got all of 21 votes-3 being from me. The winner got almost 500. I just figure that the people who love me the most have more important things to do than sit on facebook voting for my baby. (that's what I tell myself anyway. And the little girl who got 500 votes really was cute!)
I love and miss you! Wish we lived closer.

Kate said...

Alex never checks his facebook so he probably missed the announcement there, but congratulations from both of us, to both of you!

bigCHICKEN said...

Check your security settings on Facebook...I didn't see any of your posts...

Arika A. said...

Congratulations Cami. I'm so excited for your cute family. Will you let us know what you're having? Or will it be a surprise?

Whitney said...

Hooray, Cami! So excited! I'm not much for facebook, either, so don't worry. I'm not sure you're in my feed, since you post so infrequently. I do check your blog, though...so I'm glad you posted here!!! If my math is correct (weren't we in algebra together in high school?) you're having the baby around September??

Julie said...

I too missed the big announcement on FB, but glad I checked in here... :) So fun that you'll be a mama to two now! Congratulations!

Cindy Lou said...

Okay, well I never check Facebook. . .but we already knew the announcement and are sitting on pins and needles for the ultrasound!!